Saturday, February 28, 2015

Kids in the House

After going to bed at 2 am, I set my alarm for 4:30 am to check on the new babies, but I was so exhausted I slept right through it. Steve heard it though and went out and checked on them and said they were fine. So this morning we went out about 7:30 am to check on them and still weren't able to get them to nurse very well. The little girl was up and around and doing great, but now the little boy was too cold. I brought him in the house and wrapped him up in a towel with the heating pad to try and warm him up. I milked Buttercup while we were out there and tried to get him to take a bottle but he was too weak. We tube fed him some milk, but he just couldn't get warm even on the heating pad. He ended up dying this afternoon. And since we didn't want the little girl to be next, we brought her in the house too. She warmed up quickly and took a bottle just fine. But when we took her back out later tonight, she still wouldn't nurse. I think since Buttercup was from a dairy they probably took her babies away from her right away and bottle fed them so they could milk her. She just doesn't know how to be a mother to them. She didn't cuddle them and keep them warm. She didn't even care when I took them into the house. She was just ambivalent. So sad. I wish we had realized sooner that she wasn't taking care of them and the third little boy wouldn't have died. I'm feeding her every few hours since she doesn't drink much at a time. It's going to be another long night :)

Feeding the little girl some electrolytes

No comments:

Post a Comment