Friday, February 27, 2015

New Kids on the Block!

Buttercup had her babies finally! She had triplets! This morning when I went out to check on her I could see that she was in labor, so I kept checking on her every 30 minutes all afternoon and evening. I came in for dinner and was inside cooking and eating for about 30-40 minutes. Steve went out to check on her and came back telling me she had a baby. I didn't believe him of course :) But I went out to the barn with him and she had already delivered a little girl and was trying to deliver a second baby! The second baby was stuck and it's head was still covered in the sac so it wasn't breathing. I think it had been that way for too long and it had suffocated. I tried to help her by pulling on it, but it was just too big. When she finally got it out, it ended up being twice as big as the first one so that was why she was having so much trouble. It was a boy. Then an hour or so later she had another boy and it was about the same size as the first little girl.

The girl is on the left and the boy is on the right

The girl was shivering and having trouble getting warm so I spent the evening holding her wrapped up in a towel trying to get her warm enough. I even put her inside my jacket. Dad came out and brought out his shop propane heater and got the barn warm. The third little boy was up and active and doing great. Buttercup was exhausted and kept having more contractions as her body was trying to get rid of all the afterbirth so she wasn't really paying much attention to her babies. I tried to get them to nurse, and they both sucked a little but weren't real successful. About 2 am I wrapped them both up together in a blanket, and went in the house to go to bed because I was exhausted too!

No comments:

Post a Comment